Thank you for supporting my work, and for helping to maintain our incredible forum community!

New Forum Help and Support
Question 

This thread is for questions, answers and observations regarding the new forum software.

If you have a question about how the forum works, ask it!

If you can answer someone else's question, answer it!

If you discover how to do something that may be useful to others, post it!

Thanks Clayton, I was gonna post one of these threads when I had time -- appreciate you doing it for me.

I gave you +2 Rep for that. Smile_1

I posted this earlier, and post again here so it's easier for people to see.

'Advanced Search' feature is highly recommended to everyone. You can search posts by a username, and have the posts of this user sorted (newest first).

For example, try the following to see how it works:
Username = pretzel logic
Search in Forums = market discussion
Sort results by last post date = descending
Show results as = posts

Alternatively, you can also click the FIND button associated with a user's post in order to see all posts made by this user. I personally prefer the Advanced Search because it can filter the results better.

Hope it helps. T-winn

Posted this tip before, and here it is again.

"Send & receive private message" is a really neat feature because it's hosted here and doesn't go to your personal email address.

To send a private message:
1. Click Member list
2. Click the username of the person you want to send a message
(OR, you can click on a username, if it's clickable)
3. Click 'send a private message' (don't click 'send email')

Alternatively, you can also click the PM button associated with a user's post in order to send a private message to this user.

To receive a private message:
1. Click User CP
2. Click Inbox -- to view and reply

Hope this helps. T-winn

question on adding a signature - I can't figure this out. Frannybrd mentioned to goto 'Control Panel' then choose 'change signature' but honestly I don't see that option in my control panel. I've clicked every option I can find and still don't see it :huh:

Thanks! :huh::huh:

"You took your first pinch like a man and you learned the two greatest things in life ... Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut."

To set a Custom User Title, like mine or JBB's above; use the "Custom User Title" found in the Control Panel, click Edit Profile, and it should be in the upper right box.

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily..." - Bill Snyder ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(05-21-2012, 05:40 PM)White Bird Wrote:  Hello. found under User CP / Advanced Options where you can make a time adjustment, but it seems one needs to know what the Forum's time period is in order for any adjustment I make to be meaningful.

Soooo, questions are: (1) is the Forum on Hawaii time? (2) If so, how many hours is that west of PST (California) and (3) If so, how many hours is Hawaii time from GMT?

I'm hoping with these answers I will be able to figure out a way to have the forum's comments match up with East Coast market operating hours. If there is a more simplified way or answer to guide / help me in this quest that someone can offer, I would greatly appreciate the help.

WB
WB,

Seems like most forum dwellers usually like to have their time zone setting set to their own local time. I'm on US Central, which is currently GMT -5, which would make US Eastern GMT -4. I just remember that markets close at 4:00 Eastern.

HTH!

(05-21-2012, 03:16 PM)JuiceBoxBoy Wrote:  question on adding a signature - I can't figure this out. Frannybrd mentioned to goto 'Control Panel' then choose 'change signature' but honestly I don't see that option in my control panel. I've clicked every option I can find and still don't see it :huh:

Thanks! :huh::huh:

This is starting to bug me as well. I signed up over the weekend, and distinctly remember seeing both a way to set a sig line during the registration process, as well as some folk's sig lines. Now I see neither. I also think PL may have been fiddling with a way to get rid of the "Contributions" line between each post. Is it possible that maybe PL flipped a switch disabling all sig lines in the process??

(05-21-2012, 05:54 PM)GoF1sh Wrote:  
(05-21-2012, 05:40 PM)White Bird Wrote:  Hello. found under User CP / Advanced Options where you can make a time adjustment, but it seems one needs to know what the Forum's time period is in order for any adjustment I make to be meaningful.

Soooo, questions are: (1) is the Forum on Hawaii time? (2) If so, how many hours is that west of PST (California) and (3) If so, how many hours is Hawaii time from GMT?

I'm hoping with these answers I will be able to figure out a way to have the forum's comments match up with East Coast market operating hours. If there is a more simplified way or answer to guide / help me in this quest that someone can offer, I would greatly appreciate the help.

WB
WB,

Seems like most forum dwellers usually like to have their time zone setting set to their own local time. I'm on US Central, which is currently GMT -5, which would make US Eastern GMT -4. I just remember that markets close at 4:00 Eastern.

HTH!

OK figured it out. So here is how time adjustment work. Forget about the questions I asked about Hawaii time, etc.

(1) When you log on to the Forum, it tells you what time you did so.
(2) Simply check what time your computer or watch or phone is telling you it currently is in your time zone upon logging in. This will tell you the time differential between where you live and the Forum.
(3) Simply add the time differential between the Forum's time and your local time (in my case it was 3 hours for living in California) and the difference in time between wherever you live and the East Coast (another 3 hours in my case) and make the total hour adjustment in the time frame window.

Now all the comments made by everyone on the Forum show up in relationship to East Coast time which for me at least helps allow for a better "real-time" visualization of what I'm looking at via charts, etc.

Final Edit:

And now the real short answer: if you want east coast time - simply click on GMT - 4 Duh! Rolleyes

(and thanks Gof1sh for helping me see how simple it really is / was)

WB

Keynes Wrote:A sound banker, alas, is not one who foresees danger and avoids it, but one who, when he is ruined, is ruined in a conventional way along with his fellows, so that no one can really blame him.

You can use the quote tags that are generated when replying to a message to make any text appear as a quote. The easiest way to do it is to reply to a message and then replace the original message with your quote.

Before posting you can hit the preview post button to make sure it looks the way you want it to.

60% of the time, it works every time

Also, when replying to another message put your own text at the end. If you put your text within the quote tags it will appear like it is part of the original message.

(05-21-2012, 11:28 PM)giarc Wrote:  
Keynes Wrote:A sound banker, alas, is not one who foresees danger and avoids it, but one who, when he is ruined, is ruined in a conventional way along with his fellows, so that no one can really blame him.

You can use the quote tags that are generated when replying to a message to make any text appear as a quote. The easiest way to do it is to reply to a message and then replace the original message with your quote.

Before posting you can hit the preview post button to make sure it looks the way you want it to.

Just realized there's an easier method.

1. Press the Insert Quoted Text button
2. Type your quote
3. Press the Close Tags button

When someone posts a chart, I am required to download it. Is that the standard? Can I change it so that the image just enlarges similar to how Disqus worked?

I have to admit, this message board is a bit crowded (not by users, but by unnecessary features). Yes, I am having trouble with this change as I feel it is a step backward in technology. Alas, I understand why the change was made and will conform because of the great information and posters.

Any help that can be provided regarding my question above would be appreciated.

(05-22-2012, 01:25 AM)davezarling Wrote:  When someone posts a chart, I am required to download it. Is that the standard? Can I change it so that the image just enlarges similar to how Disqus worked?

I have to admit, this message board is a bit crowded (not by users, but by unnecessary features). Yes, I am having trouble with this change as I feel it is a step backward in technology. Alas, I understand why the change was made and will conform because of the great information and posters.

Any help that can be provided regarding my question above would be appreciated.

It may simply be a function of your web browser preferences such as open in new window, download, etc.). Just a suggestion. I'm not an IT guy whatsoever. wb

What's a batman? Realize this isn't a great place to post, but definitions were added to this thread initially. Original post #195, 4/5/2013 regular daily forum. Charts aren't translating over, no idea why.......
(04-05-2013, 09:58 PM)oneiron12 Wrote:  Beware.....danananananana

someone had PM me and asked what is the batman pattern... simply put it is an inverse head and shoulders pattern or IHS as they sometimes get referred to.....but it doesn't quite fit the technical/classic criteria for Technical Analysis... the best I can figure is that if human beings were still trading stocks is you would get more of a classic look but the computers that are trading this market tend to work faster and complete the patter before it fully fills out... hope that helps...

it also has become a symbol for us bears to be cautious and consider the possibility that what we think is the beginning of a really nice impulsive move to the downside...gets stick saved and builds the right wing of the caped crusader... here is the classic rules for Head and shoulder patterns:

Example:

The Head and Shoulders Bottom, sometimes referred to as an Inverse Head and Shoulders, is a pattern that shares many common characteristics with its comparable partner, but relies more heavily on volume patterns for confirmation.

As a major reversal pattern, the Head and Shoulders Bottom forms after a downtrend, and its completion marks a change in trend. The pattern contains three successive troughs with the middle trough (head) being the deepest and the two outside troughs (shoulders) being shallower. Ideally, the two shoulders would be equal in height and width. The reaction highs in the middle of the pattern can be connected to form resistance, or a neckline
The price action forming both Head and Shoulders Top and Head and Shoulders Bottom patterns remains roughly the same, but reversed. The role of volume marks the biggest difference between the two. Generally speaking, volume plays a larger role in bottom formations than top formations. While an increase in volume on the neckline breakout for a Head and Shoulders Top is welcomed, it is absolutely required for a bottom. We will look at each part of the pattern individually, keeping volume in mind, and then put the parts together with some examples.

1.Prior Trend: It is important to establish the existence of a prior downtrend for this to be a reversal pattern. Without a prior downtrend to reverse, there cannot be a Head and Shoulders Bottom formation.

2.Left Shoulder: While in a downtrend, the left shoulder forms a trough that marks a new reaction low in the current trend. After forming this trough, an advance ensues to complete the formation of the left shoulder (1). The high of the decline usually remains below any longer trend line, thus keeping the downtrend intact.

3.Head: From the high of the left shoulder, a decline begins that exceeds the previous low and forms the low point of the head. After making a bottom, the high of the subsequent advance forms the second point of the neckline (2). The high of the advance sometimes breaks a downtrend line, which calls into question the robustness of the downtrend.

4.Right Shoulder: The decline from the high of the head (neckline) begins to form the right shoulder. This low is always higher than the head, and it is usually in line with the low of the left shoulder. While symmetry is preferred, sometimes the shoulders can be out of whack, and the right shoulder will be higher, lower, wider, or narrower. When the advance from the low of the right shoulder breaks the neckline, the Head and Shoulders Bottom reversal is complete.

5.Neckline: The neckline forms by connecting reaction highs 1 and 2. Reaction High 1 marks the end of the left shoulder and the beginning of the head. Reaction High 2 marks the end of the head and the beginning of the right shoulder. Depending on the relationship between the two reaction highs, the neckline can slope up, slope down, or be horizontal. The slope of the neckline will affect the pattern's degree of bullishness: an upward slope is more bullish than a downward slope.

6.Volume: While volume plays an important role in the Head and Shoulders Top, it plays a crucial role in the Head and Shoulders Bottom. Without the proper expansion of volume, the validity of any breakout becomes suspect. Volume can be measured as an indicator (OBV, Chaikin Money Flow) or simply by analyzing the absolute levels associated with each peak and trough.

Volume levels during the first half of the pattern are less important than in the second half. Volume on the decline of the left shoulder is usually pretty heavy and selling pressure quite intense. The intensity of selling can even continue during the decline that forms the low of the head. After this low, subsequent volume patterns should be watched carefully to look for expansion during the advances.

The advance from the low of the head should show an increase in volume and/or better indicator readings, e.g., CMF > 0 or rise in OBV. After the reaction high forms the second neckline point, the right shoulder's decline should be accompanied with light volume. It is normal to experience profit-taking after an advance. Volume analysis helps distinguish between normal profit-taking and heavy selling pressure. With light volume on the pullback, indicators like CMF and OBV should remain strong. The most important moment for volume occurs on the advance from the low of the right shoulder. For a breakout to be considered valid, there needs to be an expansion of volume on the advance and during the breakout.

7.Neckline Break: The Head and Shoulders Bottom pattern is not complete, and the downtrend is not reversed until neckline resistance is broken. For a Head and Shoulders Bottom, this must occur in a convincing manner, with an expansion of volume.

8.Resistance Turned Support: Once resistance is broken, it is common for this same resistance level to turn into support. Often, the price will return to the resistance break, and offer a second chance to buy.

9.Price Target: After breaking neckline resistance, the projected advance is found by measuring the distance from the neckline to the bottom of the head. This distance is then added to the neckline to reach a price target. Any price target should serve as a rough guide, and other factors should be considered, as well. These factors might include previous resistance levels, Fibonacci retracements or long-term moving averages.

"You took your first pinch like a man and you learned the two greatest things in life ... Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut."

Just a test of the Attachment feature.

edit: got it now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)