Thank you for supporting my work, and for helping to maintain our incredible forum community!

Thread Closed

First political thread

Decided this topic was a bit too politically-charged for the market section, and figured I'd head this off before it turned into a big debate there...

(12-15-2012, 05:51 PM)arnie Wrote:  thanks for reminding PL! Thumbs Up I just did my Christmass shopping (the bulk of it) using the Amazon link on this blog. Easy as 1-2-3. It ain't much what I bought, but every little thing should help! What is your commission on each purchase if I may ask? 1%, 2%, 0.5%???

That said, after yesterday's cruel, inhuman, tragic, sad, unimaginable shooting in Conn. at the elementary school, where 27 innocent young children were slaughtered because we as a society have utterly failed to protect them, I decided to donate the money I had set aside for you this month to a non-profit organization:Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (www.smartgunlaws.org).

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence (formerly Legal Community Against Violence) is the only national law center focused on providing comprehensive legal expertise in support of gun violence prevention and the promotion of smart gun laws that save lives. As a non-profit organization founded by attorneys, we remain dedicated to preventing the loss of lives caused by gun violence by providing trusted, in-depth legal expertise and information on America’s gun laws.

I am sure you can understand my decision, and I hope my amazon shopping offset some of this.

The spilling of innocent blood in the US because a few think we all need guns has been enough. We need to ACT now. Pretty words don't help. Action speaks LOUDER than any gun shot!!! Having a son who is in kindergarten myself, this hit home hard, real hard. IMHO, it has been enough. Why did the killer's mom have 3 guns? Who needs 3 guns? Is 1 not enough? We don't need no guns at all. If she had 0 guns, this tragedy would not have happened. Simple as that. I hope everybody on this blog will act in a manner the same way as I did. Of course PL should not suffer from that, so lets keep on supporting him in his difficult times too!

OK, sorry for my ranting, but I hope and I am sure, everybody on this blog can agree and sympathises.

arnie,

Would be interested in engaging you in this topic. I'm one of those bastages that beleive in lawful gun-ownership but that doesn't mean I can't have a meaningful conversation about it with you.

Respectfully,
-whip

"Minnie don't burn no chicken."

PL, thanks for relocating. As soon as I had posted it I knew, felt it should have been posted on a separate thread. And i had a gut feeling you'd replace it and give this it's well-deserved own place. thanks!

I am just so emotionally touched by this happening that I spilled it on the regular marker place before thinking. However I hope it makes others think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(12-15-2012, 06:36 PM)Whip Wrote:  arnie,

Would be interested in engaging you in this topic. I'm one of those bastages that beleive in lawful gun-ownership but that doesn't mean I can't have a meaningful conversation about it with you.

Respectfully,
-whip

hey whip,

i am always open for a respectful, mature, dignifying open-minded dialogue . I am not here to convince anybody of my opinions, etc. As long was can agree to conclude at some point that we may have to respectfully disagree, than I am confident an interesting conversation can start.

Let me start off with that I am not a gun hater, not do I think that people that have guns or like/love guns are stupid or something. No, what ever floats your boat so to say. And everything has its place (in society) even firearms. That said, I absolute don't believe that an outright ban on all guns will be better than the current gun ownership laws in place. Because if history has thought us one thing then banning anything makes controlling it even harder and encourages criminal behavior (e.g. the biggest criminal of all times -Al Capone- was during the Prohibition, when alcohol was banned).

That said, we need a more sensible and smarter gun ownership law than what's currently in place because clearly the current law(s) are not working in ensuring that the innocent and those that can't defend themselves are adequately protected. Unless, one thinks that the killing of 27 kindergartners (for starters) is simply a price we pay "for the right to bear arms"; and that such slaughterfests (i cannot describe it any other way) or OK and normal. Nobody with a sane mind will argue that. If one or society does think so anyway, I am convinced society got rightfully what it deserved and a lot more blood spilling will come. That one can be certain off, unless we change current laws, regulations, and situations.

Now that we've established that the current situation needs to change, we need to ask several questions, related to this shooting and which also relate to the whole gun ownership law: "why did his mother have 3 (!!!) guns?" and "why did she (think she) needed 3 guns?". I cannot come up with one good answer to any of these questions. Is 1 gun not enough? Once we have answered these questions satisfyingly, and the answer is simply "she didn't need 3 guns, and most likely she didn't need a gun at all", we can than move forward to determining what should be changed. Because change is needed, since the current situation is dysfunctional. It is insanity to suggest that more guns will solve the problem; clearly that is more of the same and doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome. (for example, we are not the FED here where Benny and his printing press posse thinks that printing more and more and more money will created jobs, while clearly the previous trillions of printed dollars have not created any jobs at all).

Or let us put it in numbers. In 2009 there were 310,000,000 million registered firearms in the U.S. Yes, 310 MILLION... that is one firearm for each and every man, woman and child. Would 620Million guns solve the problem? If 310 already cause this much bloodshed, how much can we expect from 620M??? So clearly more guns is not the answer, clearly arming society to the teeth will not protect the defenseless, but put them even at greater risk of harm.

If one think it is because our government (police, sheriffs, dea, etc) is not able to protect us so we need to protect ourselves, than a simple numbers game will show that this train of thought isn't a logical argument. Assume for simplicity sake that each firearm in the US costs $300. The total amount of dollars spend on firearms in the US is thus: $300x310M = around $100,000,000,000 ($100BILLION). And I am sure this is a grossly underestimated number.... If society would simply not buy half of these firearms and instead donate that money to local law enforcement agencies, stations, pay in taxes or any other way ensured it would go to law enforcements we'd have a whole lot more coppers, sherifs, troopers etc on our streets, protecting, guarding and watching our neighborhoods. A much more effective way than owning a gun, and waiting for a bad thing to happen.

That said, prevention is better than curing. Metal detectors, gates, on site security, buddy systems, self defense, etc etc only treat the symptoms of a dysfunctional law and do not treat the cause. So we need a integrated holistic approach to fixing this problem.

First solution is: Limited the number of guns an adult person can have to 1. Second, guns should only be owned by people who need them for either profession or subsistence. Third, anybody who wants to own guns for pleasure or hobby can refer to the first solution, and will have to go through rigorous background checks, clearance, gun handling and safety classes, sanity tests, etc. Guns are, as we all know, not toys. They were never intended for that purpose and should never be either. They are designed to hurt and kill. Simple as that. Than we haven't even talked about the types of guns (automatic, semi automatic, etc) or ammunition, etc. But, if we can limit the number of guns to responsible owners we have come a loooooong way in ensuring or loved once and especially our little once are protected from further evil.

First of all, what happened in CT sickens me and there are no gun laws that would have stopped this senseless tragedy. As a former FFL holder and someone who owns mulitple firearms I find it interesting that gun violence increases whenever restrictions on gun ownership or carry laws are increased. It's like encourage more "bring a knife to a gunfight" scenarios.

Simply put, the mass shootings we continue to see are ALL in "gun free" zones where the shooter knows they can expect NO OPPOSITION. In the case of the shooter at the Oregon mall, after killing several with an assault rifle it jammed. As he was clearing the weapon, a patron with a conceal carry permit raised his weapon and upon the shooter seeing this, turned his rifle on himself, ending the siege and saving lives.

The intent of the 2nd Amendment isn't about home protection or protection from a single individual (though it works rather nicely in those cases), but rather it's about defending one's self from a government turned tyrannical, such as the Founding Fathers faced.

Denniger has some nice write-ups on this topic today (market-ticker.org) and are well worth the read. As he so nicely puts it, there's a reason these guys don't attack police stations...

Switzerland has the fourth highest rate of gun ownership in the world and nearly zero violent crime. Japan has very strict gun laws and almost zero violent crime. I firmly believe violence has very little to do with laws and very much to do with culture. America has a violent culture, though it appears we're getting better.

I don't think criminalizing guns will help. It works in other countries, sure, but you take a country with, as you say, over 300 million guns, and you make guns illegal - now guns are all in the hands of criminals. And I like the idea of an armed populace in case a few generals and high ranking politicians decide it's time for a new system of government.

I think a solution might be to make someone non-criminally liable if their gun is used for a crime and they can't prove they took appropriate safeguards. And maybe require gun purchasers to show proof of ownership of a gun safe to a gun dealer prior to sale of a gun.

(12-16-2012, 01:23 AM)Lapwolf Wrote:  Denniger has some nice write-ups on this topic today (market-ticker.org) and are well worth the read. As he so nicely puts it, there's a reason these guys don't attack police stations...

I'd be a fan of letting the principal and few other school officials (probably not teachers) pack heat. It'd have to be with the appropriate training and those fancy holsters that make it difficult for someone to take your gun.

I agree with Max that it's a cultural thing, and the US has a violet culture. I own several weapons, as I'm an avid hunter. To Arnie's point that we should only be allowed one gun: I have several for different hunting situations, i.e. waterfowl, upland game, deer and pigs. Each on of those situations requires a different tool (gun).

Most that are against gun ownership also see no point in allowing hunting as well. But that is a right that is allowed in this country and a sport I enjoy (and my friends enjoy my yearly game feed BBQ's as well). Being a culinary enthusiast, I can guarentee that wild game when prepared properly is unique (in a good way if done right!) and not something you'll find in a store.

So back to the original point: is gun ownership in this country causing all this violence. In my opinion it is not the root of it, and therefore banning guns will not cure the problem. I think that there are many factors. Our violent culture which is perpetuated by media, including TV, Movies and video games (as a dad of a preteen, there are several games that will not be in this house and we have long discussions as to why, and he seems to understand). Also, I think a big factor is our culture's way of dealing with mental illness - we don't deal with it in many cases, and we have put such a stigma on it that our first and sometimes only response is to ignore it. That in itself is a long conversation, but I think one of major issues in this problem.

The other thing is the way that many in our country look at gun ownership as having to be an unbridled right. By that I mean no restrictions what-so-ever. I am a long time gun owner and advocate. However, I and many of the gent's that I hunt with, tend to depart from the NRA in this respect. I feel that any gun should require a safety course before purchase. Much like the Handgun permit or Hunter's safety course or that is required in California for those items. No safety course is currently required for the purchase of a long gun and that's frightening. I know several people - family included - that have "guns for self protection" and no clue or desire to actually learn how to use them or store them properly. My kids don't go over there without me being present and I've stated that flat out to them (makes for great conversations at family get togethers... not!)

I also have to say that I'm not a big fan of legal "assault weapns", but hey, just cause it's not my thing doesn't mean I feel they should be outlawed. My shotguns are semi automatic and Feinstien and Kerry attempted to classify them along with all semi-auto guns as assault weapons in legislation several years ago. It doesn't make a difference what the appearance on the outside of the gun is, it's the hands that control it.

Now having said that, I have never heard a good argument for guns that can carry large clips other than "it's my American Right". Will outlawing large clips stop gun violence. No. Will it make it harder to unload a S#$@ -load of bullets into an innocent crowd. Yes. Would that require outlawing ownership of ANY large clip. Yes. Would it solve the problem right away. No... but it could help in the long run without taking away rights of gun owners. They would just have to reload more often. Too Bad, get over it. I have to admit, I have some aquintences that also believe they should have large clips for when the Ruskies attack. Any normal individual can shoot holes through that one pretty easy.

So Arnie, while I understand and respect your feelings and opinion, I don't think that banning guns is the answer. I think we need to go deeper to fix the culture. Pay attention to the shows your kids are watching and realize it has an impact on them. Don't allow them to play ultra violet video games, it has an impact on them and desensitizes them to violence. Talk to you kids about violence and how it effects others and discuss the more civilized ways to deal with issues. Talk with them about bullying and it's effects. How to deal with mental illness in the country and how we deal with it? Haven't got an answer to that - wish I did. Stop selling 100 round clips... or 50 for that matter (pick a number, I think over 10 is unjustifiable) and outlaw their possesion. Require locks and/or safes for the purchase of a gun and hold owners accountable if someone aquires and uses your unlocked gun in a crime (other than it was outright stolen). And mandate education for gun purchasing and usage. No... not registration, but make it so that ranges and gun clubs require safety course cert's to use their facilities... it would be in their best interest to have educated users on there property. Yes that would mean that the goverment know you have a gun, but it doesn't necessarily mean they know what kind and how many you have.

The change would be slow... but we didn't get here overnight either.

The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.
So what do we do ? Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well. How?

I don't know. It's a mystery.

Banning guns is not the answer. I used to live in Chicago where guns have been banned for decades. Every Monday morning you can find a news article with titles like:

Nineteen shot in Chicago night of mayhem

Chicago Shootings: 9 killed, At Least 37 Wounded in Weekend Gun Violence

Fatal Shootings in Chicago Outnumber US Troops killed in Afghanistan

As of October 1, Chicago had over 400 homicides, mostly shootings. In a city that has banned guns for decades.

Restricting regular citizens from owning guns will not solve the problem.

(12-16-2012, 04:39 PM)Dave Wrote:  I agree with Max that it's a cultural thing, and the US has a violet culture. I own several weapons, as I'm an avid hunter. To Arnie's point that we should only be allowed one gun: I have several for different hunting situations, i.e. waterfowl, upland game, deer and pigs. Each on of those situations requires a different tool (gun).

Most that are against gun ownership also see no point in allowing hunting as well. But that is a right that is allowed in this country and a sport I enjoy (and my friends enjoy my yearly game feed BBQ's as well). Being a culinary enthusiast, I can guarentee that wild game when prepared properly is unique (in a good way if done right!) and not something you'll find in a store.

So back to the original point: is gun ownership in this country causing all this violence. In my opinion it is not the root of it, and therefore banning guns will not cure the problem. I think that there are many factors. Our violent culture which is perpetuated by media, including TV, Movies and video games (as a dad of a preteen, there are several games that will not be in this house and we have long discussions as to why, and he seems to understand). Also, I think a big factor is our culture's way of dealing with mental illness - we don't deal with it in many cases, and we have put such a stigma on it that our first and sometimes only response is to ignore it. That in itself is a long conversation, but I think one of major issues in this problem.

The other thing is the way that many in our country look at gun ownership as having to be an unbridled right. By that I mean no restrictions what-so-ever. I am a long time gun owner and advocate. However, I and many of the gent's that I hunt with, tend to depart from the NRA in this respect. I feel that any gun should require a safety course before purchase. Much like the Handgun permit or Hunter's safety course or that is required in California for those items. No safety course is currently required for the purchase of a long gun and that's frightening. I know several people - family included - that have "guns for self protection" and no clue or desire to actually learn how to use them or store them properly. My kids don't go over there without me being present and I've stated that flat out to them (makes for great conversations at family get togethers... not!)

I also have to say that I'm not a big fan of legal "assault weapns", but hey, just cause it's not my thing doesn't mean I feel they should be outlawed. My shotguns are semi automatic and Feinstien and Kerry attempted to classify them along with all semi-auto guns as assault weapons in legislation several years ago. It doesn't make a difference what the appearance on the outside of the gun is, it's the hands that control it.

Now having said that, I have never heard a good argument for guns that can carry large clips other than "it's my American Right". Will outlawing large clips stop gun violence. No. Will it make it harder to unload a S#$@ -load of bullets into an innocent crowd. Yes. Would that require outlawing ownership of ANY large clip. Yes. Would it solve the problem right away. No... but it could help in the long run without taking away rights of gun owners. They would just have to reload more often. Too Bad, get over it. I have to admit, I have some aquintences that also believe they should have large clips for when the Ruskies attack. Any normal individual can shoot holes through that one pretty easy.

So Arnie, while I understand and respect your feelings and opinion, I don't think that banning guns is the answer. I think we need to go deeper to fix the culture. Pay attention to the shows your kids are watching and realize it has an impact on them. Don't allow them to play ultra violet video games, it has an impact on them and desensitizes them to violence. Talk to you kids about violence and how it effects others and discuss the more civilized ways to deal with issues. Talk with them about bullying and it's effects. How to deal with mental illness in the country and how we deal with it? Haven't got an answer to that - wish I did. Stop selling 100 round clips... or 50 for that matter (pick a number, I think over 10 is unjustifiable) and outlaw their possesion. Require locks and/or safes for the purchase of a gun and hold owners accountable if someone aquires and uses your unlocked gun in a crime (other than it was outright stolen). And mandate education for gun purchasing and usage. No... not registration, but make it so that ranges and gun clubs require safety course cert's to use their facilities... it would be in their best interest to have educated users on there property. Yes that would mean that the goverment know you have a gun, but it doesn't necessarily mean they know what kind and how many you have.

The change would be slow... but we didn't get here overnight either.

Dave, (and Others) with all respect, please re-read my threat... since I clearly state that I don't believe in an outright ban of guns, and therefore you probably need to rethink and rephrase your comments to my post.

That said, all the exact same violent movies, video games, websites, etc are also available in EU (e.g. Holland where I am from). Darn, we have some s$@t that makes US stuff look childish. However, there are very few shootings in Holland, because guns are illegal. So that "we are a more violent culture" argument doesn't hold up, because, in this case, Dutch are as violent and as exposed to the same violent media -and then some- as much as Americans are. Hence, given that everything else is thus equal it is (too easy) access to weapons that is thus the problem. Hence, I make the case and argument in my original post that gun access should be better restricted; but NOT made illegal. The latter, as I clearly stated, would make things even worse.

The argument that we "need" weapons to protect us from a possible tyrannical government is idealistically and philosophically nothing wrong with. Practically, however, I don't see what a little pistol will do against a whole army armed to the teeth. It is a self-serving and self-justifying argument because One would need a whole lot more fire power to make the case for self defense at that level. Hence, I don't see having a little popper "because the government may run amok" or "the commies will attack" can hold much ground either. In that case you'd need at least a tank for starters.

(12-16-2012, 02:27 PM)MaxMallan Wrote:  Switzerland has the fourth highest rate of gun ownership in the world and nearly zero violent crime. Japan has very strict gun laws and almost zero violent crime. I firmly believe violence has very little to do with laws and very much to do with culture. America has a violent culture, though it appears we're getting better.

I don't think criminalizing guns will help. It works in other countries, sure, but you take a country with, as you say, over 300 million guns, and you make guns illegal - now guns are all in the hands of criminals. And I like the idea of an armed populace in case a few generals and high ranking politicians decide it's time for a new system of government.

I think a solution might be to make someone non-criminally liable if their gun is used for a crime and they can't prove they took appropriate safeguards. And maybe require gun purchasers to show proof of ownership of a gun safe to a gun dealer prior to sale of a gun.

Max, I never wrote I wanted to make guns illegal. Please re-read my post carefully. Normally you are a good reader of my market-related posts, so I know you can ;-). I want a smarter, stricter, more sensible, better controlled gun law.

As for the 300M firearms (non military) in the US. Just google "gun ownership US" and you'll find the numbers. I know that number sounds crazy high, but I am sure it's an underestimated...

So far,I am somewhat disappointed with the replies because nobody answered my 2 questions I posted (satisfyingly). Neither has any of the replies so far acknowledged that a shooting like last is too high a price to pay for the so called right to bear arms. Unless and until we can acknowledge that it is too high a price to pay can a dialogue be fruitful. If we do not acknowledge that, then one has to draw the logical conclusion that one agrees that it is a justifiable and acceptable price to pay (and that it was just an event that can be justified with a shoulder shrug and "move along nothing to see here"). It is therefore a basic philosophical premiss and requirement that needs to be fulfilled to be able to move forward in a constructive dialogue that tries to identify what aspects of the current gun ownership law(s) require to be changed.

(12-16-2012, 07:33 PM)arnie Wrote:  Max, I never wrote I wanted to make guns illegal. Please re-read my post carefully. Normally you are a good reader of my market-related posts, so I know you can ;-). I want a smarter, stricter, more sensible, better controlled gun law.

As for the 300M firearms (non military) in the US. Just google "gun ownership US" and you'll find the numbers. I know that number sounds crazy high, but I am sure it's an underestimated...

Never claimed that you want to make guns illegal. Just saying I don't think it's a good idea

(12-15-2012, 06:28 PM)Pretzel Logic Wrote:  Decided this topic was a bit too politically-charged for the market section, and figured I'd head this off before it turned into a big debate there...
Disagree with you entirely. The real problem in the Lanza family was the lack of mental health facilities available to parents of children with personality disorders. In fact, there are none. Lanza's mother was left on her own to deal with a son who had severe mental/emotional problems.
As long as we are adhering to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, I will advocate for the right to own guns.

Ram Nam Satya Hai

(12-16-2012, 07:24 PM)arnie Wrote:  Dave, (and Others) with all respect, please re-read my threat... since I clearly state that I don't believe in an outright ban of guns, and therefore you probably need to rethink and rephrase your comments to my post.

That said, all the exact same violent movies, video games, websites, etc are also available in EU (e.g. Holland where I am from). Darn, we have some s$@t that makes US stuff look childish. However, there are very few shootings in Holland, because guns are illegal. So that "we are a more violent culture" argument doesn't hold up, because, in this case, Dutch are as violent and as exposed to the same violent media -and then some- as much as Americans are. Hence, given that everything else is thus equal it is (too easy) access to weapons that is thus the problem. Hence, I make the case and argument in my original post that gun access should be better restricted; but NOT made illegal. The latter, as I clearly stated, would make things even worse.

The argument that we "need" weapons to protect us from a possible tyrannical government is idealistically and philosophically nothing wrong with. Practically, however, I don't see what a little pistol will do against a whole army armed to the teeth. It is a self-serving and self-justifying argument because One would need a whole lot more fire power to make the case for self defense at that level. Hence, I don't see having a little popper "because the government may run amok" or "the commies will attack" can hold much ground either. In that case you'd need at least a tank for starters.

I'll be happy to be able to ward off a meth freak who can't tell the difference between my house and a jewelry store. One of those crazed idiots who blows through the front door.

Ram Nam Satya Hai

(12-16-2012, 07:43 PM)arnie Wrote:  So far,I am somewhat disappointed with the replies because nobody answered my 2 questions I posted (satisfyingly). Neither has any of the replies so far acknowledged that a shooting like last is too high a price to pay for the so called right to bear arms. Unless and until we can acknowledge that it is too high a price to pay can a dialogue be fruitful. If we do not acknowledge that, then one has to draw the logical conclusion that one agrees that it is a justifiable and acceptable price to pay (and that it was just an event that can be justified with a shoulder shrug and "move along nothing to see here"). It is therefore a basic philosophical premiss and requirement that needs to be fulfilled to be able to move forward in a constructive dialogue that tries to identify what aspects of the current gun ownership law(s) require to be changed.

I disagree with the premise that the right to bear comes with the price or the consequence of violent school shootings. I'm not saying gun control laws and licensing laws can't be improved - I'm no expert but I suspect they can. But I don't see why we can't have a non-violent, heat-packing society. That being said, I don't own a gun and probably never will.

One visit to Dachau, Auschwitz, and Buchenwald ought to lay the "gun control" argument to rest.

Ram Nam Satya Hai

Incidently, any vet with a "PTSD" diagnosis will be denied any weapons ownership if they are in the Gov't databases/state hospitals/treatment centers/schools included. All health records, licenses, etc., will be subject to scrutiny and intrusion. Any diagnosis deemed "not normal" based on DSM IV criteria will be the premise of denial. NDAA 2013 will surely place limits on other beneficiaries and any member of their family in the same house as well. If you pee the bed, drink too much coffee/beer or nose pick, big brother is watching. God forbid if you have an IQ of less than 100, hypertension or diabetes, less alone a seizure disorder, they'll make you crazy too. Unfortunately, no answers here, I grieve as everyone else to recent events. Scars like these, never go away.

Nothing matters until it matters, and when it does matter it's the only thing that matters, which at that point it's probably too late! It can only be attributable to human error.
-HAL 9000

(12-16-2012, 08:33 PM)frannybrd Wrote:  I'll be happy to be able to ward off a meth freak who can't tell the difference between my house and a jewelry store. One of those crazed idiots who blows through the front door.

Lol, trust me there are a lot of drug addicts in very drug liberal Holland, but nobody has a (a need of a) gun to ward of a potentially run-amok junkie. ;-)

(12-16-2012, 08:15 PM)MaxMallan Wrote:  Never claimed that you want to make guns illegal. Just saying I don't think it's a good idea

I agree. Making anything illegal is the worst solution. Now we need to define what we as a society tolerate is an acceptable price to pay for the current "guns for all, unless.." law (fill in the blank with "mentally unstable, criminal etc, etc). If that answer is less (or 0) shootings/killings, then we have established that the current law is dysfunctional and requires change. It is that simple.

How we as a society treat people with mental problems is surely part of the problem (hence my plea for a holistic and integrated approach). However, their treatment etc can not be covered under a gun ownership law, just like a medical law/bill doesn't deal with gun ownership. But, it is a societal question that also requires critical scrutiny and attention.
Thread Closed